Basic Information about Broccoli
Broccoli is an herbaceous plant of the family which includes cabbage, kale, and cauliflower.
It has large dark green leaves, with central head of green color built from many small bouquet of broccoli.
Plant broccoli originated in Italy and was created from the Italian word broccoli which means branch. Today it is widespread throughout the world and has pronounced healing properties, especially when it comes to preventing cancer.
What is the Nutritional Composition of Broccoli?
Broccoli belongs to group of low-calorie foods, and has numerous vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients and plant fibers.
Of minerals, broccoli contains: calcium, potassium, phosphorus, iron, sulfur, zinc, sodium and chromium.
The vitamin composition is as follows: folic acid, vitamin B complex, vitamin C, vitamin A and E.
What are the Health Benefits of Broccoli?
1. In broccoli, there are numerous phytonutrients that possesses antioxidant activity which classified broccoli as high-value food in the fight against cancer, especially colon cancer and breast cancer.
2. Fibers in broccoli assist food digestion, prevent the occurrence of constipation, and reduce the level of cholesterol released into the intestine.
3. Broccoli is good food for children and pregnant women because of the abundance of folic acid and iron. Ensures proper development of the fetus and prevents anemia.
4. Calcium from broccoli is very important for women in menopause, which is why this group would need to use more broccolis in diet to help protect against osteoporosis.
5. The high level of potassium and vitamin B complex enables the proper operation and function of the nervous system.
6. Broccoli provides a lot of Vitamin C which is why it is best to be eaten fresh or steamed in order to prevent diseases and strengthening of the immune system.
7. Sulfur from broccoli, which gives it a characteristic odor is also good protection against Helicobacter in the stomach.
8. Broccoli alkalized body which is very important in maintaining general health.